Monday, April 2, 2012

On Kids and Televison


Is TV bad for kids?


That is actually one of the heavily discussed topic among parents, doctors and researchers over the years.
 
Truth is, I'm partial on letting kids watch the television.  Especially those under the age of two.  I work as a babysitter, long before I had Geb.  The parents of the kid I babysit have somehow influenced me on their thoughts about introducing television at such a young age.


But, you see.  We can't help.  This all started in YouTube.  Yes, I blame those fun videos of beloved nursery rhymes and soothing lullabies that knock Geb off to sleep in no time.
 


Today, he watched this really old music videos in Betamax (insert LOL here)!  It's one of the hand-me-down items from a friend, thank you very much.  The artistry and direction of the videos are utterly outdated.  Sorry to say, they're downright hilarious!  The characters in each video, we call them our 'fake friends'.  Geb's fake friends.  All because they appear weird and..fake.  But, they must have been awesome to watch 10-15 years ago.  Hee.  Also, with due respect to the people behind them, they have certainly set a ground rule for all the excellent video makers of today. 

In any case, baby boy is very much entertained.  We do limit his viewing in a day or week.  We feel a sense of achievement as parents when we go through a day without letting him watch any of his shows.  

************ 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...